Sunday, September 18, 2005

Our Town

New Orleans. The charm, the poetry and romance of this unique American city convinced me it would be a great place to pop the question to Little Feisty when I did so in March 2004, a day before her birthday. She said yes by the banks of the Mississippi River - essentially in front of Jackson Square and the French Quarter - after we had had a boat ride. I was so nervous and awkward but she made me feel great anyway. I wanted to give her a long speech about how much I love her and plan to always take care of her and cherish her but I think I kind of slurred it all together instead. It's a blur now. Wow was I nervous. I stumbled down to one knee.

Note: She said yes! Which is a good thing, since we were married about a year ago.

New Orleans, because of this, will always mean more to us than it does to most people. It's a place I figured we'd visit many times through the years - one day showing our child where we got engaged. I still believe we'll be able to do that, but Hurricane Katrina and the subsequent flooding had left it in doubt for a few weeks. Now, people are being allowed back in the city to check their homes and businesses. Presumably they can stay if they're prepared to deal with the potential for sickness - due to water and air quality and general filth. Meanwhile, much of the city apparently is devastated and the shape of the city clearly will change as it's rebuilt. The historic areas - including the French Quarter and the Garden District - on the other hand, are in relatively good shape by comparison. That's good. It means rebuilding will happen, the levees should ultimately be improved and the city will recover.

Of course, another Katrina-like storm coming along before the fixes are done and the revival finished - both expected to take years - could change everything. Here's hoping we make many return trips to the Big Easy through the years. Here's hoping we tip back a drink or two one night at LaFittes on Bourbon Street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home